I'm Hanley, an Interaction (UX/UI) Designer. I design for the moments when we interact with devices, services, and people.
I've been at the Google Creative Lab, a teacher, an interactive media artist, a researcher, and an alumni of Design Computing (USYD) & Cognitive Science (UCSD). I travel all over to collaborate with diverse people in Human-Centered Design and emerging technologies 🚀 – evolving ideas from concept, to production, and beyond.
I'm also a foodie 🍝, snowboarder 🏂, lover of boardgames and hackathons.
My focus on User Experiences and Interaction Design is supplemented by Research, Visual, & Software experiences. These skills are used in diverse collaborations across various platforms (web, iOS, Android, TV, physical installations). They help contribute to dynamic plans and iterative design processes.
- (2017) Honorable Mention in Civic Projects at DevWeek (PubNub): Hughs, K., Daniel, C., Weng, H.,
VR environment for American ESL primary school students: A Design Process and Interactive Prototype.
- (2016) Nominated for a Cannes Design Lions award, 2016:
Visual Editions, Google Creative Lab (team). Editions at Play.
- (2014) Winning Team for 2014 Hectic Game Jam: Wilton J., Ho, X., Weng H.
Golden Fleece: A projected projectile-powered installation.
- (2012) Best of ICAM (Interdisciplinary Computing and Arts) – UC San Diego
- (2012) Provost Honors Spring Quarter – University of California, San Diego
- (2012) Winning Team for 2012 Media Architecture Biennale Design Competition (Aarhus, Denmark): Mitchell, MC., Weng, H., Yang, E., Khoo, K., (2012) Cycle Shift.
- (2012) Runners-Up Team for 2012 OzChi Design Challenge: Mitchell, MC., Weng, H., Yang, E., Carter, M., Younis, A., (2012) State of Mind.
- (2011) University of Sydney's Academic Prize
- (2011) Winning Team for 2011 OzChi Design Challenge: Minchella, L., Mitchell, MC., Taulu, G., Weng, H., Yu, D., (2011) The Lift as Curator: A Serendipitous Design Process.
- (2011) Winner of the Straight-Line Planar Graph; Weng, H. For the Graph Drawing Contest, from the 2011 Graph Drawing Symposium (GD).
- (2010) Finalist Team for 2010 OzChi Design Challenge: Chahine, T., Chau, C., Weng, H., Yambe, R., Yick, C. Footsteps: an urban game to encourage social interaction in networked spaces.
- (2009, 2010, 2011) Dean's List of Excellence – University of Sydney
- (2009) Commonwealth Scholarship – University of Sydney
- Sarkar, S., Chawla, S., & Weng, H. (2014). Resilience of Human Brain Functional Coactivation Networks Under Thresholding. CoRR abs/1407.1549
- Ho, K., & Weng, H. (2013). Favoured Attributes of In-Air Gestures in the Home Environment. In Proceedings of the 25th Australian Computer-Human Interaction Conference on Augmentation, Application, Innovation, Collaboration - OzCHI ’13 (pp. 171–174). New York, New York, USA: ACM Press.
- Tomitsch, M., Mitchell, M. C., & Weng, H. (2012). Designing for Mobile Interaction with Augmented Objects. In Proceedings of the 2012 International Symposium on Pervasive Displays - PerDis ’12 (pp. 1–6). New York, New York, USA: ACM Press.
- Minchella, L., Mitchell, M. C., Taulu, G., Weng, H., & Yu, D. (2011). The Lift as Curator : A Serendipitous Design Process. OzCHI 2011 Proceedings.
- Collins, A., Ackad, C. J., Apted, T., Sztajer, P., Ward, P., Weng, H., & Kay, J. (2011). Core Functionality and New Applications for Tabletops and Interactive Surfaces. In Proceedings of the 13th international conference on Ubiquitous computing UbiComp 11 (Vol. 51, pp. 607–608). ACM Press.
- Chahine, T., Chau, C., Weng, H., Yambe, R., & Yick, C. (2010). Footsteps: An Urban Game to Encourage Social Interaction in Networked Spaces. In Proceedings of the 22nd Conference of the Computer-Human Interaction Special Interest Group of Australia on Computer-Human Interaction (pp. 406–407). ACM.
Btw, the name's Hanley Weng, the Interaction Designer, Henley Wang is a misspelling.
Fun Fact: Sign Languages are not universal, like any language, they take on the unique characteristics of their countries’ culture and history.